For the second year in a row Menomonee Judo sent a strong team, made up of some of our most elite and accomplished athletes, to Vejle, Denmark for the Danish Open. This years event consisted of nearly 700 competitors from 23 nations. In spite of the extremely tough competition, our group was able to earn a total of medals 4 (and a 7th place finish).
- Natalija Stanojevic defended her U18 +70kg title, going undefeated on the day. It’s Natalija’s fourth gold medal on international soil, including three in Europe, an extremely rare feat.
- Max Antoniou took Bronze in the Sr (adult) 66kg division. At just 17 years old going against experienced and talented grown men, it’s a tremendous accomplishment. He fought one of his most complete and seasoned matches to beat an excellent player from the Netherlands to earn Bronze.
- Ruben Martin, competing in only his fifth tournament in the +100kg division, took on the giants and ended up on the podium with a Bronze medal. He is currently the #1 ranked +100kg player in the United States.
- Danny Goodwin, competing in his first international tournament, shook off a close loss in his first match and won three consecutive matches to earn a Bronze medal. His medal match went 3 minutes into golden score (overtime) before Danny scored the decisive point.
Here are the club’s complete results from the event:
1. Alice Mihas F U18 63kg: 3 wins, 7th place
2. Natalija Stanojevic F U18 +70kg: Gold Medal 3. Adam Eckardt M U21 66kg and Sr’s 66kg: 4 total wins 4. Max Antoniou Sr’s 66kg: Bronze Medal 5. Danny Goodwin M U15 34kg: Bronze Medal 6. Ruben Martin M Sr’s +100kg: Bronze Medal